The Big Move to the Big Apple

As I type this I am insanely exhausted, physically and emotionally. I will be calling it an early night.

But my oh my, it’s happened, I am officially a resident of New York City! I never thought this day would come!

Today has been trying in more ways than one. First of all, I could not sleep last night. I was just laying there… excited, nervous, anxious… I may have slept a total of 3 hours.

At 6:30AM my mom, brother, sister, and I set out for the OKC airport. We checked my bags (after me removing some from one because it was too heavy) and then it was time for goodbyes. This was the moment I had been dreading for a year and a half, saying goodbye to my family. It was insanely difficult, and I miss them every minute. But I can’t even begin to explain how amazing it is that I have a family that supports me 110%, and knows how huge this move is for me. I am blessed beyond belief by my family, and would not be the same person I am today without them.

My first leg was just a quick 30 minute flight to Dallas, and from there I headed to NYC! During the flight I read The Great Gatsby in its entirety (such a great book) and listened to some Maroon 5 (come on, you all know you knew that one). At 3:00 p.m. Eastern time I landed in NYC! I collected my bags from baggage claim (which was quite comical… 5’2″ girl with 3 huge bags), and called my town car to pick me up (FYI, if you ever visit NYC, call a town car to pick you up from the airport. It’s much easier than the subway, and cheaper than a cab).

And so I waited… and waited. Apparently, the system was down at the town car service I was using, and therefore they were having some communication errors. I just dealt with it and didn’t let myself get upset (which many of you know is quite an accomplishment on my part). In addition to the long wait, it was also pouring rain, and even began to hail. Finally, at 4:30 p.m. my car arrived and we were off to the East Village.

Now, if you remember, my building is a 6 floor walk up, in which I live on the 5th floor. Dragging my insanely heavy luggage up those stairs was not fun, and took nearly half an hour to accomplish (had to do one bag at a time, in stages). But I made it!!! It felt great to finally be in the apartment. I know it sounds silly, but I was so proud of myself for accomplishing this all on my own… the flights, baggage, town car, moving all of my stuff up the stairs… without breaking down and bawling.

After changing out of my sweaty wet clothes, I HAD to find a place for dinner, so I set out to the streets. After walking around a few blocks I stumbled upon a Thai place called Spice. I walked in, sat at the bar, and had a glass of sangria and a heaping plate of Pad Thai. It was delicious. I will definitely be returning.

After dinner, I headed back to the apartment to do some unpacking… and a short hour later I was done. It’s crazy how in such a small space I still have so much floor space after unpacking. Tomorrow’s adventure consists of taking a trip to Ikea to find a dresser, chair, and a skinny night stand… plus a couple other small odds and ends (mirror, hangers, etc). After that I will know how much, if any, my mom can ship to me from Oklahoma.

Let the adventure begin!


One thought on “The Big Move to the Big Apple

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s